CiSRA Puzzle Competition 2013
Welcome to the 2013 CiSRA Puzzle Competition web site. The puzzles here
have an unusual twist: no instructions are provided, and each puzzle
works differently. New puzzlers may wish to consult our puzzle solving
guide and warm up with puzzles from previous years before
registering for our annual competition. Entry is free. Australian
students can win prizes (terms and conditions apply).
CiSRA is Canon Information Systems Research Australia, a leading research and development centre for Canon.
9 May 2013
Puzzle Week dates for the 2013 competition have been finalised! Puzzle Week begins on Monday 29 July, and the competition ends on Monday 5 August. We are still confirming prizes and any possible changes to the competition terms and conditions for this year, as well as the traditional early release date for the Group 1 puzzles. Registration of teams will open once these have all been finalised.
8 May 2013
We are firming up our dates for 2013. The competition will run in June or July - more details soon. Also, we want to announce a change in format this year. In 2011 and 2012 we had a large-scale metapuzzle comprised of relatively easy "mini puzzles" that were given out only when teams solved a regular puzzle, and the metapuzzle did not affect scoring. Feedback suggests that many solvers did not bother seriously attempting the metapuzzle. This year we are eliminating the grand metapuzzle structure and adding five extra "very easy" puzzles to the main competition. Instead of 20 puzzles for a maximum score of 100 points, we will have 25 puzzles for a maximum score of 125. This gives everyone the chance to see and solve our easiest puzzles (not just the teams who solve harder ones first) and earn points for them.
15 March 2013
We have begun planning for the 2013 Competition! There are still some administrative details to be worked out, but we intend to run this year's competition a few months earlier than last year, around May or June. We are also planning a minor change to the competition format this year. Details will be announced once administrative details and prize funding is confirmed.
8 October 2012
The 2012 Competition is over. You may see the results in the 2012 Competition Archive.
More news. RSS news feed.
2013 Competition Dates
- To be announced - Site open for team registration.
- To be announced - Group 1 puzzles released.
- Mon 29 July, 2013 - Puzzle Week begins. Group 2 puzzles released.
- Tue 30 July, 2012 - Group 3 puzzles released. Hints released for Groups 1 and 2.
- Wed 31 July, 2012 - Group 4 puzzles released. Hints released for Groups 1, 2, 3.
- Thu 01 August, 2012 - Group 5 puzzles released. Hints released for Groups 1, 2, 3, 4.
- Fri 02 August, 2012 - Hints released for Groups 3, 4, 5.
- Sat 03 August, 2012 - Hints released for Groups 4, 5.
- Sun 04 August, 2012 - Hints released for Group 5.
- Mon 05 August, 2012 - Competition closes. Puzzle solutions released. Provisional prize winners contacted to verify eligibility.
Administrative and technical inquiries to the CiSRA Puzzlers: firstname.lastname@example.org